Saturday 11 August 2012

BACK FROM WUKRO/ DE VUELTA DE WUKRO


Landscape, Wukro-Mekelle Road. J. Montes, 04/08/2012

I expected to find a dry arid landscape but instead I found a land almost greener than the Basque Country. I expected to find a good man and I found not only that, Angel is also a fighting, humble and extremely approachable man. I expected to find misery but I found smiles amongst poverty. I expected to find NGOs’ co-operants and I also found volunteers, all full of enthusiasm and a selfless desire to help others. I expected language to be a problem but I found people that, despite the language barrier, really wanted to learn and know more. I believe the world changes for the better when people act on it. Olatz.

With Angel Olaran, Farewell at St Mary's Mission, Wukro, 04/08/2012

Esperaba encontrar un paisaje marrón y árido y me encontré con uno casi más verde que el del País Vasco. Esperaba encontrar a un hombre bueno y me encontré no solo eso, Angel es también un hombre luchador, humilde y muy accesible. Esperaba encontrar tristeza pero encontré sonrisas entre la pobreza. Esperaba encontrar cooperantes de ONGs y también me encontré con voluntarios, llenos de ilusión y ganas de ayudar a los demás. Esperaba encontrarme con barreras por el idioma y me encontré con gente que, a pesar de ello, quería saber y aprender. Creo que el mundo cambia a mejor cuando la gente se lo propone. Olatz.

3 comments:

  1. O, that's nearly poetry right there! Hahaha! Sorry I haven't been posting comments lately but I thought you'd stop the blog altogether once back in England.
    I'm glad you all found the trip " enrikecedor" ( I have no idea if that is spelled correctly but you know what I mean! ) and that you were able to help so much. That's wonderful. ;)

    Right. I'm going to do a siesta now, I'm not on holidays for nothing right? Bliss...

    Big kiss,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sois geniales, muchas gracias. Siempre os recordaré. Espero volver a veros!
    Elena

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sois afortunados... Un fuerte abrazo

    ReplyDelete